Tuesday, December 26, 2017

WATCHING AND WAITING, BY THE SEA

I stood by the edge of the water waiting for the water to touch my feet,
And watched the birds glide over the crashing waves,
And waved at the boats carry men away to fish from the depths
And watched the sunrise from the mountains to the heavens
But the salt water and my feet, ne’er did they meet.


I stood by the edge of the water waiting for the waves to wash over me,
And watched the children play in the crashing waves,
And saw a few dolphins break the water to breathe,
As the sun changed colour to gold and amber,
But my body never got wet, and my soul never washed by sea.


Tired and angry, I sat myself down waiting for the tide to rise to meet me,
And stared down the fishermen rowing back, boats filled with their catch,
And watched the children swim back all gleefully drenched and dark,
The sun mellowed to a dark red as it met the horizon,
But the tide fell with the sun, and rose with the moon, never to wash o’er me.


Now I stand at the edge of the sea and think over the day,
And the moonlight plays with the crashing waves,
And the night sky riddled with stars twinkling as diamonds in a diamond mine,
Waiting for another night that shall pass by, another sun to rise,
And hoping for tomorrow, with some unknown blessing, the waters will come my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment